Designated Safeguarding Lead Training
April 18 @ 9:30 am - April 19 @ 4:30 pm
This training is mainly aimed at Education & Inclusion Staff.
This is an opportunity for internal staff to receive the same advanced two day course that is currently available to new DSL’s in schools and colleges in Wakefield district.
The content and objectives covered will be exactly the same as what school staff receive, therefore may be useful for anyone who has an interest in or links with DSL’s in schools/colleges.
The objectives covered in the 2 days are;
• Clarify the role and responsibilities of the DSL and best practice.
• Summarise legislation, guidance and inspection criteria relating to education and safeguarding.
• Consider current issues in safeguarding.
• Recognise ACES, the impact of abuse and Trauma Informed Practice.
• Apply lessons learnt for Education in Serious Cases.
• Identify blocks for staff and consider how to overcome these – ‘temperature check’ your school/college. (Audit available)
• Recognise how values affect decision making.
• Explain issues around recording and information sharing.
• Recognise the current Wakefield position and Early Help requirement of Education.
• Determine what steps are to be taken to safeguard, in line with policy and procedures including how to deal with disagreements.
• State further role of DSL following a referral.
• Demonstrate an awareness of the emotional aspect of safeguarding work.
• Identify a network of support and further information
The course is information heavy but will offer short opportunities for reflection and practice of key skills. Delegates will be provided with a pack of handouts and a copy of the slides. There may be testing of knowledge acquired during the course.
Please note, this course contains very emotive subject matter. If you feel you will be excessively affected by this please discuss with the trainer at the start of the course.
Delegates will need to do both days together, and attend the entire course to achieve the objectives and certificate. It will not be possible to split the days or leave the course early.
To be a DSL in a Wakefield school/college it is recommended that you complete this course plus other recommended training which you will be signposted to on the course e.g. Prevent, Safer Recruitment.
It may be helpful if delegates familiarise themselves with the Safeguarding Page for Education on the Wakefield Safeguarding Children Partnership WSCP website https://www.wakefieldscp.org.uk/schools-colleges/. This includes links to many free recorded safeguarding training opportunities. DSL are encouraged to access any topics that are relevant to their setting e.g. online safety, mental health issues, domestic abuse, child exploitation.
It will be useful for delegates to have read their own safeguarding policies before attending the course.
It is expected that delegates have completed Basic level safeguarding training as this course will not cover basic such as signs and indicators or how to deal with a disclosure. For posters and handout card reminders of these please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recordings of Basic level and Safer Working Practice Training for school staff are also available.
You can book onto this training via the Me system searching the keywords of the course title in the Learning tab. If you do not have access to the Me system, please email email@example.com
Please note, all our training is subject to change at any given time therefore it’s your responsibility to check for any changes prior to attending. Updates are provided via email upon booking and can be viewed on this page.