Achieving Best Evidence
October 15 @ 9:00 am - October 16 @ 4:30 pm
Please Note: You must have completed the Section 47 training in order to undertake this training.
• Explain the relevance of the document” Achieving Best Evidence in Criminal Proceeding” (Ministry of Justice 2011) to social work practice.
• Explain the relevance of Practice Direction 3AA– Vulnerable Persons Participation in Proceedings and Giving Evidence to social work practice
• Manage an initial contact with a child, as per the ABE guidance
• Follow the ABE guidance to communicate with children in a variety of settings; for example, within a S 47 enquiry, during a CIN assessment, when a child spontaneously tells their experience, and avoid the contamination of evidence.
• Demonstrate your ability to plan an interview with a vulnerable witness
• Differentiate between different questioning styles and use them effectively within a conversation or initial contact with a child
• Practice using the ABE framework for an initial contact with a child
• Understand how to record an interview with a vulnerable or intimidated witness and the status of contemporaneous notes
• Apply your knowledge of children’s cognitive development to understand the impact of compliance, acquiescence, suggestibility & moral reasoning
• Have a brief overview of the relevance of points to prove in criminal offences relating to child protection
• Identify the common errors that occur in investigative interviewing
You can book onto this training via the ‘Me’ system by searching the keywords of the course title in the learning section. If you do not have access to the ‘Me’ system please email us directly to book.
Please ensure if you are no longer able to attend the training and wish to cancel, you cancel your booking on the ‘Me’ system under “Your Activities” tab in the learning section. This allows places to be made available to other staff that are able to attend this training. If you did not book through the Me system and wish to cancel or unable to do so through the system, please email us.
Please note, all our training is subject to change at any given time therefore it’s your responsibility to check for any changes prior to attending. Updates are provided via email upon booking and can be viewed on our this page here